Progress review of doctoral students meets the requirements of Chapter V.5. “Progress review of doctoral students” in the Study Regulations of the University of Tartu, and the Procedure of Doctoral Students’ Progress Review in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities (effective as of 3 September 2018).
Explanations to the Procedure of Doctoral Students' Progress Review
Summary of supervision appointment (supervision diary)
Based on the progress report and the accounts presented by the graduate schools, the review committee assesses the doctoral student’s participation in the events of graduate schools of the Faculty, which is taken into account as either studies or research. (Procedure, clause 7.3)
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities takes into account the doctoral student’s participation in the events of graduate schools in applications for DoRa Pluss grants (from 01.09.2017) and graduate schools’ mobility grants.
The events of graduate schools are divided into two:
1) Events for which a fixed number of credit points is given.
2) Events for which no credit points are given.
In the information about the event, it is specified how many credit points are given for participation and what the amount of work and tasks are. Student’s participation in the full programme of the event is confirmed by the student’s signature on the signature sheets of the event.
At the registration for graduate school events, we ask the students to mark if they wish to get credit points for the event or not.
The events of graduate schools can be registered only through continuing education programmes; the participant gets a certificate of completion (completed the full programme) or a certificate of attendance (attended part of the programme). The certificate of completion or attendance can be either electronic (sufficient for using within the University of Tartu) or on paper.
In the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, the credit points for the graduate school can be taken into account as part of studies or research:
- as part of studies: the credit points received for the graduate school event have to be transferred by means of RPL (recognition of prior learning and professional experience). RPL can be based only on the certificate of completion of the continuing education programme (completion to the full extent).
- as part of research: the credit points received for the graduate school event are transferred by the decision of the progress review committee. This can be based on both a certificate of completion or a certificate of attendance.
Participation in events for which no credit points are given is taken into account at the annual progress review and when applying for DoRa Pluss grants.
Doctoral student’s participation is confirmed by the student’s signature on the signature sheets of the event!
Records on participation are kept by the office of graduate schools.
All activities taken into account for progress review must be related to dissertation.
When completing the progress review report, we ask you to consider the following:
- at the progress review, it is recommended not to give more than 10 ECTS per one academic year for participation in conferences and seminars (incl. graduate school events),
- at the progress review, it is recommended not to give more than 6 ECTS per one academic year for other research activities,
- doctoral student’s participation in (co-)organising an event is recorded under chapter IV "Other" in the progress review report,
- participation in graduate schools’ information days or meetings is recorded under chapter IV "Other" in the progress review report.
To map out a successful individual study plan: for crediting the ETCS of the graduate school, particularly by means of RPL, we recommend consulting your supervisor and the academic affairs specialist of your department.